Sunday, June 07, 2009

Friday the 13th (2009)

As a fan of slasher movies, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Friday the 13th. But I'm not so much a fan of remakes or reimaginings in general. I suppose after the success of Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek I should start to be a little more forgiving, but still there is something about them that makes me wary of seeing them.

So I sat down to watch the new Friday The 13th with a mixture of excitement and trepidation, expecting disappointment.



It started off quite well. Gory, but not obscenely so, with some real scares and a pretty good recap of the events of the original Friday the 13th. It quickly became apparent that whilst this movie was using elements from the first few Friday the 13ths, it could very well fit into the current set of movies without too much difficulty. This was a nice, respectful touch considering I was expecting either a straight remake or a total overhaul.

The plot was fairly standard fare involving a group of young people heading out for a night of fun and depravity, falling prey to our favourite serial killer. The acting was good. But after a promising start the awful camera angles became rather annoying and the plot headed further and further down the "we've done this before" route as each new victim was picked off one by one as they did all the usual wrong things. It was at the point that one of the party went off in search of his friend on his own, even though he knew there was a mass murderer lurking around nearby, that I stopped really caring. We've had thirty years of this sort of stuff, which was mocked so successfully in the 1990s by Wes Craven's "Scream" franchise, yet still we have to put up with badly thought out plot devices to get each victim on their own.

So despite the high quality of the acting and the rather wonderful first 30 minutes, I have to say I was utterly disappointed by this movie. I advise you just to get the original 3 movies and enjoy it for what was then it's originality.



This blogger works for nothing but the joy of writing but always appreciates things bought from his wishlist

No comments:

Post a Comment