Monday, May 21, 2007

Public Homophobia

More and more I'm becoming a hardcore libertarian. But even I have limits. Today on the train to work was a perfect example.

I was standing, reading my book when the two workmen in their forties behind started getting a bit loud. Their conversation goes a bit like this:

"You went to the Rose and Crown?" - 1

"Yeah" - 2

"But that's a gay bar!" - 1

"Oh really..." - 2, sounding pretty respectably disinterested.

"Yeah.... me and Dave took Mike there once for a laugh at all the gays. Fucking queers." - 1

Now my tolerance of swearing has grown of late but my tolerance for what I consider to be a direct insult to myself (i.e. the word queer when said with a sneer) is... non existent.

I slammed my book closed, turned to face these two guys, saw a couple of people back away so thought my face must have reached it's angriest, and slammed the book against my leg to get the guys attention. I made sure they saw my rainbow wrist band, gave them a look that suggested they just DIE and then turned round and went back to my book.

I didn't hear two peeps out of them, or anyone else, for the rest of the journey. Being a giant has its major plus points.

Poor ol' Cutty Sark...

Technorati Tags: Gay

4 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry you experienced that, Jae! It sounds like you handled it well, though.

    Evolution bypassed asshats like those you encountered today, and they need to be forever reminded that those kinds of attitudes and behaviours are intolerable. Maybe one of these days they'll actually get it through their thick skulls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I'm glad you put those douchebags in their place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:56 pm

    good on ya. jackasses. I'm with Natalie: sometimes I do wonder about Darwin's little theories...

    ReplyDelete