Friday, October 24, 2008

The Host



I read about this south Korean movie called The Host ages ago and thought it'd be right up my street. Giant rampaging monsters? Check. That is pretty much my street isn't it... ;)



Well I finally watched it today and was more than pleasantly surprised. The special effects were good, the acting was good. There was comedy and tragedy. There was an obvious use of the monster and the reaction to it as an allegory for democracy and freedom in south Korea, both in it's recent past and it's present.

Personally it's disappointing that we have brilliant movies like this coming out of Asia and we are still totally obsessed by the Hollywood scene. I know this is changing but Hero and the like are not the same as good, modern day Asian movies. And people... the Host is one of the highest grossing south Korean movies of all time! We need to get over our dislike of subtitles and explore the world of foreign cinema. It truly does bring up some gems... Love of Siam anyone? ;)

1 comment:

  1. I loved this movie. The monster was great and the girl's dad was really funny.

    ReplyDelete