Friday, January 26, 2018

Mulder and Scully


Catatonia would end up becoming one of my top ten music acts. I was a HUGE X-Files fan in the 90s so anything even remotely related was always going to find a warm place in y heart.

This song is very closely linked in my mind to my paper round, cold February mornings and my first crush. I used to play it, often unsuccessfully, on my Sony CD Walkman as I cycled/raced around my paper route. It's got a dark, melancholic feel to it that really tied up well with my depressive teenage angst motif.

This and Road Rage really were part of the soundtrack to 1998 and 1999 for me. I'm pretty sure my much missed Auntie Melly was the one to buy me International Velvet so, again, it's important to me in a big way.

Whenever I need a comfort blanket, something dark but warm, to see me through a terrible day... this is that comfort blanket. When I listen to this I can almost feel the weight of my paper bag on my shoulder and smell the damp gardens of Lynwood. It's like a sort of time travel.

3 comments:

  1. I take comfort in knowing you had a Sony Discman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when I wrote it thinking "I know someone who will like that!!". :)

      Delete