Saturday, January 20, 2018

2000AD Prog 1078


It's been 20 years today since I bought my first ever edition of 2000AD. It was good timing.

I'd grown up reading comics. First the Beano, Dandy and a variety of old-fashioned British fare (plus Disney comics... Mmm...). Then, easily led by my mates at school, I got into a lifelong love affair with Marvel comics. Especially those God damn muties.

That was all pretty lame though, I discovered, compared to the breezy, modern and slightly naughty tone of 2000AD.

My first prog was a good one, one of those "All new stories" progs that give new readers a way in. Obviously there was Judge Dredd but my main excitement came from Durham Red, a character I immediately loved with such unique (for me) art and a great story. I remembered it so well that I ended up picking it up as a graphic novel too.

Soon enough Wednesday was a day I looked forward to. My Uncle gave me all his old 2000ADs including Prog 1. Joyous times. And, whilst staying with another Uncle, I read some amazing Judge Dredd graphic novels (Judgement on Gotham... awesome!). So I was hooked, this great British comic anthology stole my heart.



So what was I doing this fateful moment that 2000AD became my new favourite thing? Well I was standing at the counter in Roger's little shop in my "village" (a Folkestone housing estate) doing my "Head Paperboy" routine of sorting the magazines. I laid eyes on 2000AD and was in love immediately. It rested at the back of my paper bag for my round until I could devour it quickly before school that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment