Sunday, July 31, 2005

Rape - What's To Be Done?

There I was. I had just got in from a lunch at Pizza Express with Jim and Ian. I settle down to read my Observer. And I see this story. 50,000 women raped each year? And God knows how many men... how can we sit by and allow this? What can be done? I don't care about the conviction rate to be honest... how can we prevent this from actually happening in the first place???

What has happened to decency? And I don't mean that in a 1950s conservative sense... just basic humanity. When did we return to being just animals again? We are capable of so much more.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you!

    But more importantly, If anyone did have an answer, do you think people would really listen if society's views were as such originally?

    People have the stereotype that a rapist is a stranger randomly selected poor helpless women of the streets at night...we both know that's hardly ever the case.

    Most of the time, if you look at the real statistics...rape occurs most often with someone you know/have an acquantance with if not full relationship. It can happen (especially actually) with married couples or common-law...Which a lot of people don't realise.

    As long as one individual says "no," it's rape, no matter the relation.

    Ya, I took Law in High School, and this was a very heated topic....

    Check out my site:

    ReplyDelete