Last night while we were watching Supernatural, I read to Jim this story. And he said how he knew I was against capital punishment but whoever was responsible should be strung up. And so we got into the usual debate about the death penalty. I just want to know how you feel about this issue? If you are for it I would like you to answer me some honest questions, not because I want to shoot you down, but because I am interested to know how you square certain principles against a belief in the death penalty.
1) Why do you think a country has the right to decide who lives or who dies? Surely no one has that right? (PS the death penalty, abortion and euthanasia all disgust me but abortion and euthanasia are choices made by individuals about their own future and I don't feel we have a right to stop them)
2) If we had the death penalty someone at some time would die an innocent. How do you square this kind of sacrifice of an innocent person with the urge to "punish" some criminal who is worth squat? And how do you feel about a system where hundreds of people would be directly responsible for said innocents death?
3) Death is not a punishment! It does not deter the truely messed up... the paedophiles, the psycho murderers... do you really think the fear of death would stop them from living out their warped fantasies? And I would hope we weren't going to use the death penalty for anything less than the most horrendous of crimes? Death is a release. A life (and yes I believe life should mean life) in prison, as uncomfortable as possible, would be a far better punishment and safeguard against the repition of their crimes.
4) Given that the UK is one of the safest nations in the world and doesn't have the death penalty... is it necessary in any other country??
5) You are all for the death penalty. Could you be the executioner? If not then you cannot be in favour of the death penalty. If you were not prepared to take someones life in that way you shouldn't be prepared to let someone else do it for you. It's one of the real bugbears for me about the death penalty debate; the arm chair executioners. Honestly could you stare someone in the face and kill them, knowing that possibly they were an innocent, someones friend or family... if not step down from the debate!