Sunday, December 04, 2005

London and Relative Dimension In Space

London is it's own kind of TARDIS, just in reverse. It is smaller than you think. Jim set me a challenge yesterday just before he disappeared to Hemel Hempstead.. I must cook a bolognese sauce from scratch (he's just bought the Silver Spoon italian cookery book). And so today I headed to Tesco in the centre of Lewisham in search of ingredients. Which is 10 minutes walk from the centre of Greenwich where I live. Sometimes I forget it's so close. It's the same with Canary Wharf. It's 11 minutes on the DLR. You can see it from our street. But somehow my brain tells me it's TOO FAR. In Folkestone I'd walk half an hour just to catch a train. I'd walk 40 minutes just to get a magazine. I could actually walk to where I work in less than an hour. (it takes half an hour on a hideously crowded train, I might just consider it!)

I've been in this city for 6 months and still haven't explored it properly. My first NY Resolution is to discover London. I owe it to the city I've spent my life dreaming I'd live in.

AH! Two gay blokes on telly talking about civil partnerships... "At the end of the day it's equality and that's what we've been after". IT IS NOT EQUALITY! God, sometimes I wish I was born in Canada like most of my family... at least gay people didn't settle for second best there. Hmm. It's time to start writing letters. And give Nick Raynsford, my Labour MP, a kick up the bum.

No comments:

Post a Comment