Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Aquarium

When I was just a little boy I used to be taken to gardening centres all the time by my gardening conscious mother. I used to spend ages in the little pet shop areas staring in wonder at the tropical fish in their tanks, and wishing we could afford to own some.

In July, Jim and I got an aquarium which has sat in the front room ever since populated by black tetras, neon tetras, catfish and clown loaches. Now it hadn't really captured the same joy as those pet shop tanks. The catfish and loaches spendt their daytime in hiding while the neons and blacks swam slowly back and forth... it had none of the energy and life I had hoped for.

Jim had a fab idea a couple of days ago; we'd take the children to Pets At Home and each could choose their own fish. Yesterday we came back with 4 colourful guppies. And what life they've brought as they've explored their new home. The neons and the blacks have stepped up a gear to assert their supremacy... It's great... I'm actually enjoying just sitting and watching them.

And today... they've started to mate. LIFE AT LAST!

No comments:

Post a Comment