Wednesday, November 11, 2009

For My Fallen

Like most British people, hell like most Europeans, I've got many relatives who served in the First World War. The sad thing is that I didn't know about any of them until this year when I spent some time trying to flesh out my family tree. So here is my small memorial to my three (known) relatives who didn't come home from the Western Front. Whilst Leonard and William were previously known by those on the paternal side of my tree, John Barrow had been quite forgotten by my Mum's family. I hope this goes some way towards making up for that dreadful oversight.

S/8933 Private Leonard Bristow 1st Battalion The "Queens Own" Royal West Kent Regiment: My g-g-g uncle was born in Dartford, Kent but at the age of 18 found himself fighting in Ypres, Belgium. He died there on December 17th 1914. He has no known grave.


Dive Copse British Cemetery

G/9137 Private John Barrow 8th Battalion East Kent Regiment, aka The Buffs. My g-g-g uncle was born in the tiny hamlet of Kilndown, Kent. On the 22nd January 1916 he entered the army. He fell at the Battle of the Somme on the 20th August 1916. He was only 22. He is buried in the Dive Copse British Cemetery, Sailly-Le-Sec, France.

100383 William Schooling 2nd Squadron Machine Gun Corps (Cavalry) My g-g-g-g uncle was born in Plaistow, Essex. On the 22nd March 1918 he fell during the German Spring Offensive of 1918. He has no known grave.

Sadly, given the incomplete nature of my tree, there are probably more relatives who fell during that horrible war. May they rest in peace.

This blogger works for nothing but the joy of writing but always appreciates things bought from his wishlist

No comments:

Post a Comment