Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Jae In The Days Of The Virus 2

I nearly died this morning. No, I hadn't suddenly developed COVID-19 symptoms. I was almost run over!

It is the closest I've been to death in a few years anyway. As I wandered with the dogs back up our lane home after the regular morning walk a car came towards us. I assume he was blinded by the Sun behind us but he clearly didn't see us, staring straight ahead like a zombie. I realised he was sticking far to close to the side of the road (a sheer muddy bank at the bottom of my neighbour's garden making it impossible to move off the road at that point) and let out a high-pitched, horrified yelp as the car brushed against me. I was pulled the dogs over as far as I could but I still don't know how he didn't run over Bella. He drove serenely on, I don't think he even knew he literally hit a pedestrian with his car!

Anyway... this is my way of explaining to you that the village was today just as busy as ever. Traffic flowed, people went about their business, commuters leaving their homes for work and kids heading to the bus stops for school.

The only difference today was a new sign in the window of the shop door saying they will now offer home deliveries.


Meanwhile, the village is getting organised online in the various local groups set up to arrange assistance to others during the pandemic (i.e. dog walking, shopping etc.). 

Unfortunately, these groups all seem to quickly descend into rumours, news sharing etc. rather than their main organisational purpose. Hopefully, things will become more focussed in time. 

For now, Eastry continues pretty much as normal (though the local Sandwich Tech will be closing its Year 7 from tomorrow onwards). 

No comments:

Post a Comment